Joy is accessible, no matter how you feel right now.
Joy is not the opposite of depression. It’s also not the same thing as happiness. Joy runs deeper than any feeling. It’s more enduring, and it can be accessed anytime, anywhere.
Joy is a state of being where you feel peaceful, secure, and supported by something beyond your mind or your own efforts to feel good. That state of joy is within you right now and Joy Lab helps you uncover it.
Joy Lab is a podcast coupled with a self-guided, group-supported, online program that guides you as you learn and apply the essential elements of joy to create and sustain a flourishing life.
take a peek into the Lab
The ideal mix of
science & soul
Elements of joy
At Joy Lab, you'll work to cultivate the Elements of Joy. These are emotions, practices, and inner states that are strong predictors of good mental health. These elements also fuel joy, and [bonus!] they work to support your entire mind-body system. That means when you boost these elements, choosing other behaviors like healthy eating and exercising can become easier.
Each episode of the Joy Lab podcast is a mini lesson designed to spark your joy. It's also an important introduction to one of the key elements of joy. In this first year of Joy Lab, we'll release one new episode (and one new element!) each month. That means you'll get some extra support as we work as a group through the foundations of a joyful life.
Your mind is more changeable at the opening and closing of the day. You'll harness the power for change through your AM and PM infusion experiments. These 3-5 minute meditations are part of our Mindful Redesign process, working to rewire your brain by feeding yourself the elements of joy throughout the day.
Using Joy Lab's Mindful Redesign process, you'll work through four experiments each month to help overcome obstacles and enhance the positive elements of joy in your life. In addition to the Joyful Infusions, we guide you to: Loosen the Grip of Thought, Apply Mindfulness for Change, and Dialogue with Your Soul.
You'll use your Insight Calendars to track your completed infusion mediations and to record any notes about your experiences while doing them. You'll also use your calendar to identify activities in your life that support or deplete the key element you're working on.
Every experiment is accompanied by a short video to guide you through the experiment and help you succeed. Most videos are led by your Joy Lab coaches, Drs. Henry Emmons and Aimee Prasek.
Why Joy Lab?
Hear more from Drs. Emmons and Prasek about why Joy Lab exists and how it works.
Your Joy Lab coaches
Henry Emmons, MD
Hi! I’m Henry, an integrative psychiatrist who weaves together mind-body and natural therapies, mindfulness teachings, and other holistic approaches for common mental health problems like depression and anxiety. I don't think healing should stop there though. I am most interested in working with others so that we can all learn to love well and create more joyful lives.
Learn more about your Joy Lab coaches
Aimee Prasek, PhD
Hi! I’m Aimee, a digital health and integrative therapies researcher and educator. My work is fueled by the belief that we are all hard-wired for joy and it's our shared purpose to uncover and spread it. I am most interested in sharing accessible tools that help empower others to move out of suffering and uncover their own authentic, joyful self.
Learn more about your Joy Lab coaches
Joining the Lab is easy
You can join the Lab anytime! Each month focuses on one element of joy. And because it doesn't matter which element you begin with, you'll be able to jump right into the one assigned for the month you join in. You'll then continue moving through the remaining elements monthly to uncover your own joy.
Uncover + sustain joy
Your very first experiment will likely spark some quick goodness, but continued practice is needed to rewire your brain for joy. That process takes 6-12 months. To support you during that time, we focus as a group on one element per month. Our shared focus creates an extra boost as you infuse all the elements of joy.
Good news! There are no live sessions to schedule or deadlines to meet in Joy Lab. That doesn't mean you're alone though. All Joy Lab members work on the same element and experiments during the month. Folks do better when there's a shared focus like this. At the same time, you can move at your own pace, and in a way that fits your life best.
Sliding scale fee
$89 | $139 | $199
one time fee
Joy Lab Members Receive
- 48 powerful experiments within our Mindful Redesign process to infuse the elements of joy into your life. Remember, you'll only work through four experiment per month (#doable!). These experiments fall into four categories:
- Infuse Joy: Brief morning & evening meditations to help you start the day off right and to soothe your mind with joy for more restful sleep.
- Loosen the Grip of Thought: Each element of joy is associated with one or more habitual, negative thoughts that block your access to this element. These experiments are designed to loosen the grip that these unconscious, negative thoughts have on you.
- Apply Mindfulness for Change: Mindfulness is more than meditation or stress reduction. You'll learn how to apply it skillfully in these experiments to create lasting, healthy change.
- Dialogue with Your Soul: Every good scientist knows that there are many ways of knowing. These experiments work to collect some of the subtle and sacred data that can prove essential as you work to uncover joy.
- Insight calendars to track progress and identify and overcome obstacles to joy
- How-to videos for extra support & to boost your confidence as you move through the program
- Lab Notes accompany many of your experiments to help you move through confidently, see your work on paper, and prompt you in some journaling
- Email check-ins and course progress updates
- Quick surveys after each of your experiments to help make sense of what you learned and to open the next experiment (Survey/test anxiety? Don't worry: the impact is in the effort and there are no grades allowed in Joy Lab!)
- One-time payment and access to your Joy Lab never expires
Note: If $89 is too much for you at this time, we have a monthly payment plan option (nine monthly payments of $10 each).
learn more about the Lab
Joy Lab FAQ
What Elements do I actually work through?
What elements do I learn first?
How much time is this going to take me?
Do I need anything for the program?
Don't miss a spark!
A little spark of joy goes a long way. Join the Joy Lab newsletter for some sparks of joy and simple strategies to help you uncover your most joyful life.
Joy Lab content (including the podcast and program) is for informational and educational purposes only. It is not intended to provide medical advice and is not a replacement for advice and treatment from a medical professional. Consult your doctor or other qualified health professional regarding specific health questions. If you're in a crisis, call the NAMI helpline 800-950-6264 or text NAMI to 741741. Visit NAMI for more. Please see additional terms.